Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts and Sage
1 kg trimmed Brussel sprouts
4 tbsp rapeseed oil
a few sage sprigs, shredded,
200g whole, cooked and peeled chestnuts
- Steam the sprouts, to reduce the amount of nutrition lost.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a large wok and add the sage and chestnuts. Cook for a few mins over the heat, add the sprouts, season and stir-fry.
Spiced Red Cabbage
1 large red cabbage
4tbsp rapeseed oil
2 red onions
grated zest and juice 1 orange
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Peel off the outer leaves of the cabbage, then cut into quarters and slice out the core. Use a sharp knife to thinly slice the cabbage.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then tip in the onions and gently fry until softened, about 5 mins. Add the orange zest to the pan along with the cinnamon stick, then cook for 1 min more.
- Add the shredded cabbage, then pour over the red wine vinegar, orange juice and 150ml water.
- Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for 45 mins-1 hr until the cabbage is softened.
12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries
½ cup honey or maple syrup
½ cup water
Zest of 1 medium orange
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Rinse the cranberries well and drain off excess water. Pick through the cranberries and discard any squishy ones.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, honey and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have popped and the mixture thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the orange zest. If you’d like to add cinnamon add it now.
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 large onion
2 sticks celery
2 garlic cloves
200g chestnut mushrooms
1 large carrot
1 tsp dried oregano
1tsp smoked paprika
100g re lentils
2 tbsp tomato puree
300ml vegetable stock
100g fresh wholemeal bread crumbs
150g mixed nuts
3 large eggs
100g light cheddar
handful of parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan. Line the base and sides of a 1.5L loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and celery for about 5 mins until beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 10 mins
- Stir in the red pepper and grate carrot and cook for about 3 mins then add the oregano and paprika and cook for just a minute
- Add the red lentils and tomato puree and cook for about 1 min, then add the vegetable stock and simmer over a very gentle heat until all the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is fairly dry. Set aside to cool
- Finally, stir in the breadcrumbs, nuts, eggs, cheese and parsley and a pinch of salt and some ground black pepper. Stir to mix well then spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and press down the surface. Cover with foil and bake for 20 mins, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10–15 mins until firm when pressed gently
- Allow the loaf to cool in the tin for about 10 mins then turn out onto a serving board or plate. Remove the baking paper and cut into slices.